Edit for Descriptive Linguistics and Elegance
We have in all probability rewritten the piece many times. Currently, it’s time to judge the fashion of the piece, correct descriptive linguistics and orthography errors, and strengthen the sentences and paragraphs.
Here are many things to appear for:
- Are there any tedious sentences that you just will shorten or divide into 2 sentences? Any long paragraphs that you can separate into multiple paragraphs?
- Do you have any passive sentences? See here for a way to identify the voice.
- Are you peppering your writing with ready-made phrases? Use the commonplace finder.
- Any orthography or capitalization errors? Misplaced modifiers? Misuse of commas? Different punctuation errors?
- Therefore if you’re writing a weblog post, are there places wherever you’ll use contractions to create your writing sound additional conversational?
- Have you eliminated needless adverbs? Are there any tough words that you just might replace with additional normally proverbial ones?
What is the secret of excellent writing?
The secret of excellent writing is to strip each sentence to its cleanest elements. Therefore each word that serves no operate, each long word that would be a brief word. While each adverb that carries a similar that means that’s already within the verb, each passive construction. Because that leaves the reader unsure of who is doing what–these are the thousand and one adulterants that weaken the strength of a sentence.
Therefore you can use an application like Grammar to assist with this method. However, it’d not catch all errors. Furthermore Ernest Hemingway Editor is another great tool to work out if you have got sentences. that are tough to scan (copy and paste your text into the homepage to use the free version of the app).
And, remember, that you just will continually brush and count your descriptive linguistics information by reading a book just like the components of favor. I’m coming up with a forthcoming post sharing many of my favorite books that teach a way to write well.